Carpet cleaning: How to properly care for your carpet
A rug can create a cozy and warm atmosphere in any interior, but it also needs maintenance to keep it looking good and lasting. Regular cleaning and care are the key to success. But what is the best way to clean and care for your carpet? In this blog post we will show you how to thoroughly clean, maintain and remove stains from your carpet.
How to care for your carpet: the basics
Regular deep cleaning of your carpet is crucial to keeping it in good condition. Basic cleaning includes regular vacuuming of your carpet and knocking it out, shaking it out and airing it out. Deep cleaning should be done by a carpet professional every three to five years if your carpet is washable.
For basic cleaning, you should vacuum the carpet daily or once a week, depending on usage and condition. If there is serious dirt, you can of course vacuum more often. It is also important to beat and air out the carpet to remove deeper dirt and avoid unpleasant smells.
Tip: If you have a high-pile rug, make sure you vacuum it regularly and don't place heavy furniture on it, as this can damage the pile. If the pile is no longer fluffy, you can put it back up with a natural brush or a steam cleaner.
How to remove stains: carpet cleaner & home remedies
Carpet stains are inevitable, but removing stains can be quite a challenge. Carpet cleaners are the best choice here. They are specially developed for use on carpets and are gentle on the fabric. The special applicators and brushes make the stain solutions effective and gentle on your carpet. No matter whether it's coffee, grease or red wine stains - a carpet cleaner should always be available in your household.
If you don't have carpet cleaner on hand, there are also some home remedies that can help remove stains from carpets. For example, baking soda is a good home remedy for odors. Vinegar is good for removing limescale stains. But be careful: not all home remedies are suitable for every carpet. Therefore, find out in advance whether the home remedy is suitable for your carpet.
Tip: You should always treat stains as quickly as possible to avoid permanent discoloration.
Clean wool carpets
Wool rugs are a popular choice for many living spaces as they create a warm and cozy atmosphere. However, wool carpets can also get dirty quickly and require a special cleaning method.
Before you start cleaning the wool rug, you should make sure that it is completely dry. If the carpet is still damp, you cannot clean it as it could be damaged. You should also remove all loose dust and dirt particles from the surface beforehand by vacuuming the carpet thoroughly.
Another option is to use a special wool carpet cleaner. These cleaners are specifically designed for cleaning wool carpets and can help you remove stubborn stains.
Clean jute rugs
Jute rugs are a popular choice due to their durability and natural look. However, when it comes to cleaning jute carpets, it is important to proceed carefully to avoid damage. Here are some steps you should follow to effectively clean your jute rug:
- Step by step: Start by vacuuming the carpet thoroughly to remove dirt, dust, and debris. Be sure to go slowly and carefully to avoid damaging the carpet.
- Stain treatment: If there are stains on the jute carpet, they should be treated as quickly as possible. Use a mild detergent or a home remedy such as vinegar or baking soda to remove the stain. Apply the cleaning product to the stain and let it sit for a few minutes before gently wiping it off with a damp cloth or sponge.
- Rinse thoroughly: Once you've treated the stains, you should rinse the carpet thoroughly with water to remove any detergent residue. Avoid soaking the carpet as this can lead to mold growth. Instead, use a damp cloth or sponge to gently wipe the carpet.
- Drying: After you have cleaned the jute rug, you should let it dry completely before placing it back on the floor. Make sure the rug is hung in a well-ventilated area to avoid mold growth.
It is important to clean jute rugs regularly to remove dirt and dust and to maintain or extend their durability. However, if you are unsure how to clean your jute rug, or if the rug is badly soiled or damaged, you should consider professional cleaning services to clean and restore the rug.
Clean cotton carpet
A cotton rug can create a cozy atmosphere in any room, but like any other rug, it requires proper cleaning to maintain its beauty and durability. Here are some tips on how to clean your cotton carpet:
- Vacuuming: Vacuum your cotton carpet at least once a week to remove loose dirt and dust particles.
- Stain removal: You should always act immediately when removing stains. Gently blot the stain with a damp cloth to remove as much dirt as possible. Avoid rubbing, as this can work the stain deeper into the carpet.
- Detergent: Use a mild detergent that is specifically designed for cotton carpets. Always read the instructions on the packaging or the inside of the carpet beforehand and test the cleaning agent on an inconspicuous area before applying it to the entire carpet.
- Hand wash: In some cases it may be necessary to hand wash the carpet. Fill a tub or large bowl with lukewarm water and detergent. Dip the carpet in the water and gently scrub it with a soft brush. Then rinse the carpet thoroughly and carefully squeeze the excess water out of the carpet.
- Drying: Make sure the carpet is completely dry before placing it back on the floor. Avoid direct sunlight and dry the carpet in a well-ventilated area.
Washable cotton rugs
Washable rugs are a practical choice for any interior as they are easy to clean and maintain. To wash your washable carpet, you should follow the following steps:
- Check the manufacturer's cleaning instructions: First, check the manufacturer's cleaning instructions on the carpet label. These instructions provide you with important information about the recommended washing temperature, washing cycle and detergent.
- Remove dirt: Remove coarse dirt and dust with a vacuum or brush before putting the rug in the washing machine.
- Prepare the washing machine: Set the washing machine to the recommended temperature and select the appropriate washing program. Use the recommended detergent and be careful not to use excessive amounts to avoid damage to the washing machine or carpet.
- Wash the carpet: Put the carpet in the washing machine and start the wash cycle. Make sure that you do not wash the rug together with other textiles.
- Drying: Dry the carpet carefully after washing. Don't hang it up, lay it out flat. Allow it to dry completely in a ventilated area before placing it back in the living space.
Clean viscose & lyocell carpets
Carpets made from viscose or lyocell are known for their softness and silky look. However, these materials require special care and cleaning to maintain their quality and longevity.
Here are some tips for cleaning viscose and lyocell carpets:
- Do not use aggressive cleaning agents: Avoid using aggressive cleaning agents as they can damage the material. Instead, use mild detergents that are suitable for delicate fabrics.
- Remove stains immediately: If you notice a stain on your carpet, you should remove it immediately. Use a clean cloth or sponge to gently treat the stain. Avoid pressing or rubbing the stain too hard, as this can damage the material.
- Prefer dry cleaning: For a thorough cleaning, consider hiring a professional cleaning service that specializes in cleaning viscose or lyocell rugs. It is also possible to dry clean the carpet using a dry cleaning machine or dry cleaning products.
- Regular vacuuming: To avoid dust and dirt buildup, you should vacuum your carpet regularly. Use a gentle brush or nozzle to avoid damaging the material.
Clean synthetic fiber carpets yourself
- Vacuum regularly: To remove dust and dirt from your carpet, you should vacuum it regularly. Use a gentle brush or nozzle to avoid damaging the material.
- Remove stains immediately: If you notice a stain on your carpet, you should treat it immediately. Use a clean cloth or sponge to gently treat the stain. Avoid pressing or rubbing the stain too hard, as this can damage the material.
- Use mild detergent: If the carpet is heavily soiled, you can clean it with a mild detergent and warm water. Make sure to rinse the cleaner thoroughly and allow the carpet to dry completely.
- Use a steam cleaner: A steam cleaner is an effective way to thoroughly clean your carpet. However, make sure that your carpet is suitable for steam cleaning and follow the steam cleaner's instructions.
- Let the rug dry completely: After cleaning, you should let your rug dry completely before using it again. Avoid drying the rug in direct sunlight or near heaters as this can damage the material.