Your dining room – a place of encounter, enjoyment and conviviality. What could make this atmosphere even better? A generous, soft rug under the dining table! In this article, you'll learn how to choose the optimal shape, material and size of your rug to create an inviting and practical environment.
Why a carpet under the dining table at all?
A carpet not only brings warm feet, but also an extra dose of cosiness in your dining room. Regardless of whether you have a separate dining room or have cleverly integrated the dining area into the living room or kitchen - the carpet under the table ensures the following:
- Color and structure : It brings a variety of colors and texture into the room, gives it a personal touch and creates an atmospheric ambience and coziness.
- Visual demarcation : In open floor plans, it defines the dining area and creates clear zoning that structures the room.
- Improving acoustics : Thanks to its sound-absorbing properties, it muffles noise, be it from chairs or lively conversations.
- Create a feel-good zone : With its soft surface, it gives the room a cozy atmosphere that invites you to linger.
- Division of space in spaciousness : In spacious environments, the carpet helps to highlight the dining area as an independent area.
- Unified design : It visually connects pieces of furniture together, creating harmony and a cohesive room look.
- Ensure floor protection : It protects your floor from unsightly scratches or damage from chair and table legs.
The right size of the carpet
The proportions are crucial when it comes to choosing the right rug size:
- Note the size of the room : your carpet should fit harmoniously into the room. A rug that is too big will be overwhelming, while a rug that is too small will drown. A rule of thumb is that it should be about 60 centimeters shorter than the shortest room wall. Also note possible doors and their freedom of movement.
- Dining table dimensions : Consider not just the table size, but the overall size of the dining set. The chairs should be on the carpet when pushed back slightly from the table. Add about 20 to 30 inches from each edge of the table to ensure this space.
The best materials for the carpet
Your rug should not only be pretty, but also functional. Here are some materials that have stood the test of time under dining tables:
- Natural fibers : Robust materials such as cotton, sisal, jute, seagrass or coconut defy everyday stress.
- Synthetic plastic fibers : Propylene, polyamide or polyacrylic are durable, easy to care for and resistant to dirt and moisture.
- Convenient Finishes : Short-pile or flat-weave rugs are less prone to soiling and staining.
Conclusion: feel-good atmosphere thanks to a carpet under the dining table
The carpet under the dining table is much more than just a chic accessory. It brings warmth, character and style to the room and creates an inviting dining area.
By choosing the right size and material, you can get the most out of this rug. It will not only enrich your interior, but also bring practical aspects such as improved acoustics and floor protection.